Sunday, August 11, 2013

8 Movies, 8 Movies











So I haven't written anything in a while. I apologize to anyone who actually follows this thing. My bad.....I've been enjoying the summer. But I have been watching some movies here and there. Some of which have been in the theaters, some of which are recent DVD release. Some I have been meaning to write about and just haven't gotten around to it yet. So, I've done one of these entries before after a several month hiatus, so I figure it was appropriate to do one again. So here are 8 movies with 8 reviews. Enjoy.


1:  Man of Steel  -  This was probably the blockbuster of the summer. As it should have been. A Superman re-imagining has been needed for some time. The great thing about this movie was the little things that they tweaked to make a more "down to earth" Superman movie. They make story altercations such as the outfit. They got rid of the underwear on the outside of the costume. The changed the color a little bit and the gave a meaning as to why there is there is an "S" on the front. It's not an "S", it a family crest. I also liked what they did with the actual character of Clark Kent. He doesn't know why he has the powers that he does. He does not know why he is different from everyone else. He doesn't even know that he can fly until 45 minutes in. The only thing I didn't like was the destruction at the end of the movie. There was way too much. It was almost like an "end of the world" / disaster movie and I didn't like it. But I liked everything else. So I liked 95% of it. Overall, a great movie.

2:  Grown Ups 2  -  I wanted to see it. I went to see it. I liked it. It probably won't win any awards for writing....or acting. But it's entertaining. And sometimes, that all you want in a movie. My wife called it a "typical Adam Sandler movie". it was good for some laughs, it was kind of cheesy in some parts and the story was kind of lacking. But after it was over, you said to yourself, "I liked it".

3: G.I. Joe: Retaliation  -  So I wasn't expecting much. But I was expecting more. The producers made the change from Channing Tatum to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. So I wanted some fight scenes, some over the top action, and some nice special effects. I only got a little of each. So overall.....I wasn't as good as I was hoping. I was left wanting more.

4: 21 & Over  -  So, this one went right under every one's radar. This movie is hilarious. I loved it! It's a perfect college, late night, rated R, raunchy, drinking movie. Miles Teller and Skylar Astin are perfect. They're comedy chemistry is perfect. This movie has comedy, nudity, bad language, bad decisions, and beer pong. It's awesome.

5: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone  -  To be honest, I was expecting more. When a movie has Steve Carell, Jim Carrey, and magic? It should be hilarious. And it was funny, but it wasn't gut busting. It had some funny parts, and it was written OK, but it wasn't as funny s I thought it would be. But it's still worth the watch.

6: This Is 40  -  Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! This movie had me on the floor laughing so hard. I thought it was written so well. This movie had no point. There really was no beginning and it didn't really have an ending. It was about 2 hours in a glimpse of a family. The funny thing I've noticed about this movie, is that if your married, you think it's hilarious. If your not married or single, it's depressing. It's interesting the way that works. I think it's awesome. So I'm going to recommend it if your married or not.

7: For A Good Time Call  -  This is another one that went right under the radar. 2 girls who don't like each other from college have no other alternative but to live together. One finds out the other is a sex phone operator and they both need money so they decide to start their own sex phone line. Now, don't get me wrong, this is definitely a "chick flick". But damn is this movie funny. It's a definitely worth the watch.

8: Silver Linings Playbook  -  This is a good movie. It's written in a way that puts "crazy", in a normal way. At the start of the movie, Bradley Cooper is getting out of a mental institution, and attempts to re-start a normal life. He meets Jennifer Lawrence and realizes that he is not alone in living a "crazy life". She by the way, is awesome in this movie. As it was recognized because she won the Oscar for Best Actress. There is a lot dark humor in this movie but again, it's written more as what many people consider normal. Its a solid movie that touched on several different emotions. Good stuff.



So there we go. 8 movies, 8 reviews. I'm going to keep on top of this thing a little more. (That's what she said) So if you follow this thing, keep checking for more entries. So til next time.......yes indeed.  

No comments: